Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Greatest Feat Ever?

I don't know about you but I was anticipating the Olympics today and could hardly wait to watch Michael Phelps attempt to earn his 8th Gold Medal. I surely wasn't disappointed because his 400 IM relay team won the Gold giving him his 8th gold medal something no Olympic athlete has ever accomplished in one Olympic session. I am not sure if I will ever see this again, but I do know that I witnessed something great. My only hope is that we don't find out in the future that he was using illegal substance to gain the advantage. Frankly, I am surprised that we never heard any rumors about drug use, all I know he is one of the greatest swimmers I have ever seen.

NBC has had pretty good coverage of the Olympics but I do have to complain about tonight's coverage to start. Now let me say that I am in know way demeaning the accomplishments of these athletes in any way. The first thing NBC covered tonight was the Women's marathon and I thought to my self they surely won't show the whole thing. I was wrong they did show the whole thing except for a few cutaways to track and field. Now these marathon runners are tough to say the least but It is not exciting to me and I suppose many viewers to watch someone run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run, you get my drift. They could have had little documentaries on some of the runners or maybe showed some highlights from Ping Pong or Archery or some sports you never see on TV. Anyways I kept watching because I wanted to see history tonight and by the time the marathon was finished I wasn't even overly upset that I had to watch it, it is always neat to see someone winning a race and having that proud moment of accomplishing something.

OK now to a different subject, most of you know I am a huge fan of Syracuse University Sports, especially basketball. The basketball team has been in the news at times this summer and it isn't for excellent community service. three players which I can't name because I am sure they read my blog on a consistent basis were under investigation by a grand jury for sexual assault charges against a former female SU student. The investigation turned out so many inconsistencies in the story that the DA and the Grand Jury did see any evidence to indict them on these charges. From lawyers I know, which is 2, I have been told that you do not need very much evidence to get an indictment. I mean you need very little evidence to get an indictment and these guys were cleared. Now here is the part I don't get, Syracuse University performed there own investigation and declared these athletes on probation and I believe they are required to do 30 hours of community service. Interesting that they can do this when a court of law couldn't even find enough evidence to indict them. The university did this because they said the girl, who has withdrawn from school, has suffered mental anguish over this issue. Well sure she has but when she has so many inconsistencies in her testimony and the two incidents she claims come one month apart perhaps maybe she is lying thinking a big payday is coming her way, or perhaps she made a bad error in judgement like these players did. I wonder if alcohol was involved. Anyways I do not condone the behavior of these basketball players but I think SU had no business putting their noses in this since the DA and the grand jury did their job. The bottom line is that these players need to get smart, grow up and learn that they are high profile citizens and there are people out there willing to make false claims against them. Ok enough of my soapbox. It was sure nice to see Brett Favre throw a TD pass tonight even if do hate the Jets. Good night.

No comments: